A viral sensation for her mastery of scrolls, kittys_kitchen_ has created a sweet scroll recipe just for Biroix! Made with apples and cinnamon, which are always readily available, this scroll recipe is perfect all year round! And when they’re cooked in a beautiful, colourful Biroix Dutch Oven, they really steal the show. Don’t lose this recipe, you’ll want to keep making it again and again. Ready to get your fingers floury and start kneading?
What you need - Dough:
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- ¾ cup of milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 grams of butter, diced and cold
What you need - Filling:
- 4 apples, peeled and diced
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 50 grams of butter
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 heaped tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
What you need - Icing:
- ¾ cup of icing sugar
- Boiling water
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Place your Biroix Dutch Oven over a low to medium heat and add all of the filling ingredients.
- Give it a good stir then let it simmer away for about 15 minutes or so. The sauce should bubble, caramelise and the apples should be softened.
- Once cooked pour the filling into a bowl to cool down.
- Clean your Biroix Dutch Oven as you’ll need it again later.
- Onto the dough. Grab another large bowl and place a sieve on top. Pour in the self-raising flour and salt, and then sieve through.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour and use your fingertips to press the butter into the flour. Keep doing so until it’s combined.
- Add the milk and combine using a spoon.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured chopping board or bench. Knead until the dough looks relatively smooth. If the mixture is still sticky or wet then add more flour.
- Sprinkle more flour over the bench or chopping board and then use a rolling pin or wine bottle to roll out the dough until it is about ½ cm thick.
- Cut the dough into 5 or 6 strips using a sharp knife.
- Spread the apple filling over the dough, making sure the pastry is evenly coated.
- Create scrolls by rolling up the pastry starting from the end closest to you.
- Line and grease your Biroix Dutch Oven, place your scrolls inside, and put the lid on.
- Put your Biroix Dutch Oven into the oven and cook for 25-30 mins, or until they have puffed up beautifully and are golden brown.
- Once they have cooled a bit, mix your icing sugar and boiling water together to create your desired consistency of icing and drizzle over the scrolls.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint.