Have you eaten your veggies? No dessert until you’ve eaten your vegetables. You won’t grow big and strong if you don’t eat your veggies! You can’t leave the table until you’ve eaten your vegetables. And on it goes, a negotiation that many families know well. Well, eating your veggies won’t be a problem with these chilli soy vegetables. In fact, dessert might be passed over for a second helping! With the right amount of kick, and full of flavour (and still very good for you), this veggie side dish is a success story. Add it to your protein for a well-balanced meal. And if you do struggle with fussy kids who hate veggies, you might be mollified to know it’s not your cooking – it’s biological. You can read about it here. But we’re sure you won’t have a problem with this recipe! Plus, they look extra colourful in your bright Biroix Cast Iron Skillet Pan! Win win.
Serves: 4 as a side
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5-10 mins
What you need:
- 2 capsicums (1 yellow, 1 red), deseeded and slicked thickly
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into 1 cm slices
- 250g of Asian greens (bok choy, choy sum, gai larn), sliced through the middle and washed
What you need – Sauce:
- 1-2 teaspoons of chilli oil
- 3cm sized piece of ginger, grated on the microplane
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Fresh chilli &/or extra chilli oil
- Sesame seeds
How to make:
- Fill your Biroix Dutch Oven with water and bring to a boil. Add the carrots and boil for a further 2 minutes.
- While carrots are boiling place your Biroix Cast Iron Skillet pan over a medium heat. Add the chilli oil (substitute for sesame or canola oil if you don’t want it too spicy) and capsicum.
- Add the Asian greens to the carrots in the Biroix Dutch Oven. Cook for 1 minute, drain and add to the skillet pan with the capsicum. Be careful as it may spit.
- Add the ginger and soy sauce to the skillet pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add extra chilli oil or chilli, add sesame seeds and serve.