Who doesn’t love a pasta bake? It’s hearty, it’s warm, and even the fussiest eater can usually get behind it. This take on the tried-and-true pasta bake uses chicken and broccoli – a combination as classic as the dish itself. Chicken is always a winner, and broccoli… well, according to us, it’s the Queen of vegetables. There’s just something about it that makes one feel virtuous when it’s present on your plate. Even when eaten alongside the masses of delicious cheese in this pasta bake it still feels healthy. And with good reason too. This super green machine is jam-packed full of health benefits. So grab a couple of heads and dive into this family favourite.
What you need:
- 300 grams of pasta (this recipe uses large shells)
- 3 cups of broccoli florets (= 2 heads of broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 450 grams of chicken thigh, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 250 grams of cream cheese, cut into a small cubes
- 1 ½ cup of grated tasty cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water as per packet directions until al dente (do not use your Biroix Dutch Oven for this part of the recipe). When the pasta has 2 more minutes to cook add the broccoli.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and set aside (the broccoli will continue to cook in the oven, so it doesn’t need to be cooked through).
- Place your Biroix Dutch Oven over a medium heat and add the butter and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the chicken and paprika, cook until chicken is golden and cooked through, around 6 minutes.
- Stir regularly.
- Add the chicken stock and stir.
- Once hot, add the cream cheese and stir until mostly melted.
- Add ¾ cup of tasty cheese stir until melted. Turn off the heat.
- Add the broccoli and pasta and mix well.
- Place the lid on your Biroix Dutch Oven, put in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the lid off your Biroix Dutch Oven and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cook for around 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with a green salad.
This recipe was made especially for Biroix by the talented taste Queen - The MacPherson Diaries