Who doesn’t love a potato salad? It’s easy to make, filling, and full of flavour. It might be the ultimate side dish. And (depending on which mayo you use) it is Gluten and Dairy free! Those are some important dietary requirements to fulfil in a lot of households these days, and not always easy to cater to. Thank you humble potato salad. So if you’re thinking about a Christmas crowd pleaser and gut pleaser, you can’t go past this scrummy version of the classic salad. Serve it straight out of your Biroix Dutch Oven for a bit of razzle dazzle (and because it holds a very generous portion!). Is there anything a potato can’t do? What a food source! Happy tidings y’all.
What you need:
- 1.5kg of new potatoes*, washed
- 1 cup of whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 bunches of asparagus or green beans
- 250g of sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 2tbsp of chives, chopped
- ½ cup of Italian Flatleaf parsley, chopped
How to make:
- Look over the potatoes and cut any super large ones in half.
- Put the potatoes into Biroix Dutch Oven and fill with salted water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Drain, take potatoes out and set aside.
- If using green beans, cut the top and bottoms off them. If using asparagus, break off the woody end and slice the end to tidy it up. Cut asparagus into 3 pieces, if you have large ones slice lengthways in half too.
- To blanch your greens, add more water to your Biroix Dutch Oven and bring to the boil. Add the greens and cook for around 90 seconds until bright green. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Once the potatoes are cool add them back into your Biroix Dutch Oven. Mix in the greens, chives, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with extra parsley and chives.
- Serve in your Biroix Dutch Oven.
* Waxy potatoes such as Perlas or Nadine hold their shape nicely for salads.