If you want fresh, if you want flavour, if you want a dish you’ll never get sick of, you’ve come to the right place. This Ceviche recipe has a wonderful coconut twist for that super summery vibe. It’s really rather moreish. Hailing originally from Lima, Peru, Ceviche has become a staple dish in many South and Central American countries. So if you’re looking for something light on a hot summer’s day you can be sure this is a good bet – it does come from some of the hottest countries in the world! They would know what’s good in the heat. It is a cold dish, but that’s what’s great about your Biroix Dutch Oven being made from high-quality cast iron – cast iron is just as effective at keeping dishes cold as it is at keeping them warm. Plus it makes a beautiful serving dish. So get your corn chips and get scooping!
What you need:
- 800 grams of fresh, white-fleshed fish (this recipe uses gurnard) with no bones and no skin.
- ¾ cup of lemon or lime juice (more on hand if needed).
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved.
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced.
- 2 avocados, diced.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 x 400 ml can of coconut cream.
- 1 x 400 can of mango, drained and diced.
- 1 x red chilli (optional), seeds removed and thinly sliced.
- ½ cup of coriander leaves.
- Corn chips
How to make:
- Check your fish for any bones and remove. Cut into bite sized pieces – around 2cm.
- Place fish in your Biroix Dutch Oven with the lemon/lime juice. Stir to combine. You need the juice to just cover the fish. Add more if needed.
- Place the lid on your Biroix Dutch Oven and cool in the fridge for 45 minutes – or until the fish has whitened in colour.
- Remove from the fridge, strain with a sieve and discard the juice.
- (Option to reserve a little of the next few ingredients to garnish with at the end - does look pretty).
- Add the cherry tomatoes, coconut cream, red onion, and coriander (and chilli if using). Season well with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, add the avocado and mango and mix gently.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more salt or pepper if needed.
- Garnish with coriander and reserved chilli, mango, avocado, tomato and red onion.
- Serve with corn chips.