Four and a half ingredients and you’ve got yourself a roast chicken for Christmas! (The half being the string, because it doesn’t really count as an ingredient does it?) Succulent, simple and with a hint of cranberry Christmas cheer, this glazed chicken recipe takes the stress out of what can be one of the most stressful days of the year (depending on how many mouths are in your family!). It’s tidy too, the whole thing is put together in your Biroix Dutch Oven, cooked in it, and even served/carved in it. Add a sprig of holly and you have a colourful, festive feast. And if Santa didn’t quite hit your wish list this year, you can always fall back on the ol’ lucky wishbone. Maybe that will somehow get a pony down your chimney… if not, it’s as fun a pulling your Christmas crackers, and has a very historical pagan tradition to it. Interesting stuff. Happy holidays everyone!
What you need:
- 1 x 1.6kg free range chicken
- 200g of cranberry sauce
- ½ tsp of Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- Kitchen string
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp of sliced almonds
How to make:
Preheat your oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Pat dry your chicken with a paper towel.
- Tie the legs together using kitchen string.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cranberry sauce, Chinese five spice and brown sugar.
- Place the chicken in your Biroix Dutch Oven, and spoon over the cranberry sauce making sure it covers the entire chicken.
- Put your Biroix Dutch Oven in the oven with the lid on for 1 hour, basting every 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 35 minutes. (If the chicken is starting to brown too much on top then place the lid back on.)
- Once the chicken juices run clear, remove your Biroix Dutch Oven from the oven and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle parsley and almond slivers on top.
- You can carve the chicken inside your Biroix Dutch Oven if you wish – be careful with sharp utensils against the pot.
*Cooking time for a roast chicken is 45 mins per kilo, plus 20 mins to finish.