It doesn’t get much simpler than this! These coconut prawns are so quick to create in your Biroix Dutch Oven and so tasty it almost feels like you’re cheating. Perfect on their own, or in tacos, or salads, and with a delicious crunch, they’re exactly what summer asked for. Now, we all know that deep fried food should be treated as a treat, but can we talk about the incredible nutritional benefits of both coconuts and prawns? Coconut meat has been used in historic times as an anti-inflammatory and a counter to some poisons! In modern times we appreciate coconut meat for it’s healthy fat qualities and ability to boost endurance. And prawns? Well, they’re a complete protein, a great source of Vitamins B-6 and B-12 and are full of iron. So all in all, these Crunchy Coconut Prawns are a great balance of nutrition and nom-nom-nom.
What you need:
- 500g of prawns, peeled, deveined and tails removed*
- ½ cup of flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying (vegetable or canola)
Dips** and lemon or lime wedges
How to make:
- Pat dry the prawns with a paper towel.
- Place the flour on a plate and season well.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork to combine.
- Take another plate and mix the breadcrumbs and coconut together.
- Toss the prawns in the flour, then dip in the egg, and finish by coating in the coconut mixture. (Tip: Use one hand leaving the other clean to use elsewhere.)
- Once all prawns are crumbed, pour an inch of oil into your Biroix Dutch Oven and place over a medium-high heat.
- Fry the prawns in the oil on both sides until golden. They cook very quickly.
- Once cooked, place on a paper towel. You can keep warm in a warm oven until you have fried all the prawns.
- Season the prawns and serve with dips and fresh citrus.
*You can leave tails on, but if preparing for tacos etc. then removing the tails is best.
**Try Greek yoghurt mixed with sweet chilli sauce.