Yummmmmmmmmmm. Is there anything better than a Grilled Cheese toastie? Anything more comforting? More simple? More moreish? Probably not. Such simple ingredients, such a simple meal or snack, but such a joy to eat. This recipe is beautifully simple, but if you do even a cursory search on the internet, you’ll find there are so many ways to Grilled Cheese! You can add in jalapenos, corn, onion, cured meats, relishes… it’s a wonderful blank canvas to add your own unique twist to. Traditionally made with your classic white bread, you can also use brown bread, rye, sourdough, anything goes these days. For this recipe you need your Biroix Skillet Pan and the lid from your Biroix Dutch Oven, a cast iron combination that gives you a perfectly golden, perfectly melted sandwich. This Grilled Cheese sandwich also pairs beautifully with our Pear Honey Chutney recipe. It gives it a lovely, slightly sweet kick.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
What you need:
- 4 large slices of bread. This recipe uses a white loaf. If you are cutting the bread yourself, don’t cut the slices too thick – the cheese won’t melt.
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella from a block*.
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese from a block**.
How to make:
- Spread butter liberally over 2 slices of bread (one side only).
- Place your Biroix Skillet Pan over a low heat and before the pan heats up, place one slice of the bread in the pan, butter side down.
- Place half the mozzarella cheese on the bread, then half the cheddar.
- Place the other piece of bread on top, butter side up.
- Place your Biroix Dutch Oven lid on the pan. Keep on a low heat (the low heat ensures that the bread doesn’t burn but the cheese still melts. Having the lid on also helps the cheese melt).
- Once golden – around 3 minutes – flip the sandwich and cook on the other side with the lid on.
- Once golden on both sides, remove from the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread and cheese.
- Slice and eat while hot.
* Grating blocks of cheese is better than pre-grated cheese. Pre-grated cheeses use preservatives which hinder melting.
** Use any cheeses you like. A good combination is something that melts well with something that has a punchy flavour.