Straight out of the Caribbean, this Jamaican style chicken and rice bake is fresh and full of flavour. Created especially for Biroix by the talented and popular Miss Polly’s Kitchen, this recipe is a brilliant use of your Biroix Dutch Oven – allowing all the spices and flavours to simmer and stew together for a delicious, Jamaican-infused dish. Starting out as a lockdown hobby, Miss Polly’s Kitchen has become a fully-fledged cooking account with over 50,000 followers. So you can be sure her recipes are the real deal – and this one is no exception! Hope you enjoy it!
What you need – Jamaican Rub Mix:
- 1 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of allspice
- 1 tsp of thyme
- ½ tsp of chilli flakes
- ½ tsp of cumin
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of sugar
What you need – Chicken & Rice Bake:
- 5 large chicken thigh cutlets, bone in skin on
- 1 ½ cups of white rice
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of veggie stock
- ½ a large pineapple, diced
- 1 cup of coriander, diced
- 1 large spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of jalapenos, finely diced
- Juice from 1 lemon
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C fan bake.
- Mix the Jamaican rub ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the chicken and 2 tbsp of the Jamaican rub. Mix well and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
- In your Biroix Dutch Oven, mix the rice, capsicum, onion, kidney beans, and 1 ½ tbsp of the Jamaican rub together.
- Pour the veggie stock over the top and mix well.
- Place the chicken pieces on top, and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on your Biroix Dutch Oven and bake for half an hour.
- Whist this is baking, mix together the salsa ingredients and set aside.
- After 30 minutes, take the lid off the Biroix Dutch Oven and then put back in the oven for a further 25 minutes.
- Serve the chicken bake with your pineapple salsa on top and a generous dollop of sour cream and some sliced chilli.