Thick, creamy and delicious… a great pumpkin soup makes those chilly winter nights worthwhile. And this one definitely fits the bill. A classic pumpkin soup with a coconut twist (and looking mighty fine in our brand new blue Biroix Dutch Oven if we do say so ourselves!), this comfort food is packed with nutrients to keep you fit and full over those cold months. However, if you’ve ever come across a particularly stubborn pumpkin, you’ll know getting to those nutrients can take a fair whack of wrist and forearm strength! Certainly not as conveniently packaged as say, a banana, the proud pumpkin makes you work for her fruit. But we are not deterred! And to help you get to your soup quicker, this article gives you some tips on how to make easy work of the formidable pumpkin!
Watch how to make this delicious recipe on youtube
What you need:
- 1 Pumpkin (around 1.5kgs )
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of curry paste (this recipe uses Panang curry paste )
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 500mls of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Bread and butter
- Coconut cream
- Pumpkin seeds
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Peel the pumpkin using a sharp knife, and cut into chunks.
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season well (you may need to use 2 trays).
- Put in the oven and cook until cooked through – around 50 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place your Biroix Dutch Oven on a medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the butter.
- Once heated, add the onion and sauté until translucent – around 4 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the curry paste and cook off for a minute while stirring.
- Add the pumpkin, coconut cream, chicken stock and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool a little before blending.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed by adding more salt or sugar.
- Serve with extra coconut cream, pumpkin seeds, and fresh bread.
* If using more or less pumpkin, you may need to adjust the liquid levels slightly to get the desired
soup consistency. You can use chicken stock or water to do this.
**This soup freezes well in an airtight container.
This recipe was made especially for Biroix by the talented taste Queen - The MacPherson Diaries