We’re just going to say it – we love the rodent chef! The food in that movie looks better than real food. If you haven’t watched it, you must, it will turn you into a chef. And the way they turned a simple peasant dish into a masterpiece… *chef’s kiss* This is our take on the famous dish. Not in a pan, but in your Biroix Dutch Oven. It may not be presented as elegantly as Remy plated his version, but it is jam packed full of veggies and flavour and healthy good stuff. Perfect for the New Year and those New Year health kicks. So please enjoy our take on Ratatouille, minus the rat.
What you need:
- Olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1-2 aubergines, cut into large dice
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 zucchinis, cut into large dice
- 2 capsicums, cut into 2 cm dice
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ a cup of soft green herbs, oregano, basil or flatleaf parsley. Or a combination.
- 1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Extra herbs
- Greek yoghurt
How to make:
- Place 1 teaspoon of olive oil in your Biroix Dutch Oven over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and aubergine. Season well and sauté until cooked through. Aubergine may take longer than anticipated – over is better than under. They are thirsty, you may need to add some more oil while cooking.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and add another teaspoon of oil. Add the zucchini and capsicum and cook until soft. Season well.
- At the end of cooking, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the red onion and aubergine back to the pan and add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, balsamic, honey and herbs.
- Mix well and simmer for 15 – 30 minutes until thick and slightly reduced. Stir occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve sprinkled with extra herbs and Greek yoghurt on the side.