When it’s cold and miserable outside, something slow cooked will warm you up and bright colours will help cheer you up! Biroix Dutch Ovens are perfect for slow cooked food and for brightening up your meal, your kitchen and your cold, indoorsy day.
What you need
- Biroix Dutch Oven
- Half a dozen lamb shanks
- 2 brown onions
- Chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 green capsicum
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 tins of whole tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
How to cook
- Heat your oven to 200°C
- Oil the bottom of your Biroix Dutch Oven. Cut up onions and capsicums and put them in the pot with your chilli flakes. Add in the lamb shanks and toss it all together.
- Cover with your Biroix lid and cook for 40 minutes in the oven, stirring occasionally until the lamb shanks have browned.
- Once browned, cut up your carrot and toss into your Biroix Dutch Oven along with your tins of tomatoes, rosemary (a couple of stalks or teaspoon of dried variety) and the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top, and if necessary, top up the Dutch Oven with water until lamb shanks are ¾ covered.
- Put lid back on and cook for 3 hours at 100°C. You’ll know they’re ready when the lamb is falling off the bone!
- Serve with mashed kumara (sweet potato) or mashed potato and green beans.